Friday, August 5, 2016

This Jacket is YOUR Story


It was a sunny day in October of 2013. I walked into the ag room and there was a box with my name on it. I opened it up to find a blue corduroy jacket with my name stitched on it. Immediately, I was filled with pride. I was finally officially a part of something so much bigger than myself. My story started right then and there.

Hi, I’m Zoie Shook and I’m serving as the 2016-2017 Southwest State Vice-President. I remember the day I received my blue corduroy jacket like it was yesterday. I also remember my ag advisor, Mr. Jim Calvert (Otherwise known as Jimmy B or Calv) telling us that our jacket was more than just a piece of fabric. It was a story book that we had control of.

I’ve never been much of a writer, so I was confused when these words came out of his mouth. Little did I know, that my story book would have 5 chapters packed full of memories, experiences, people, and pure love.

Chapter one was where I began my love for the FFA. I was “voluntold” to be the vice president on the conduct of meetings team. (I guess when you talk a lot in class, Mr. Calvert thinks you deserve to have the most speaking parts in contest. I learned from that mistake real quick.) I was happy with being the alternate to state as it made me feel like I had accomplished something and I was finally a part of something bigger. I went on my freshman year to be the top fruit seller, and the Star Greenhand.

Chapter two is where my story really begins to evolve. Mr. Calvert asked me to run for a district office. As an arrogant sophomore, I had no idea what that was, nor did I have the desire to know. After some wheeling and dealing, Mr. Calvert talked me into it. Jimmy B always had this thing for tough love. He made me cry the day of district interviews, and the day before I gave my speech. I later then realized that he was doing me a huge favor. I was elected as the Southwest District Vice-President that year, and it was the first time I ever saw Mr. Calvert cry.

That year was one of the best years of my life. Not only did I participate in the Public Speaking contest, but I also got to serve the best district in the state. I was wearing the jacket when I gave my district office speech, and I was wearing the jacket when I realized the impact that I was making on members and the potential I had in the jacket.

Chapter three. I was re-elected to the Southwest District Officer Team. This year, I was the Reporter. Life just kept on getting sweeter in the blue corduroy. I was traveling the state and district with some of my best friends, meeting people I will remember for a lifetime, and experiencing things that will forever be in my heart. I served on the Parliamentary Procedure Team with some of my best friends, but I was also satisfied with my story so far knowing that I was leaving my everlasting impact.

Chapter four is just a little sweeter. Things were wrapping up and I was experiencing a lot of “lasts”. Senior year was a big year for me. I was preparing for state office, refusing to give up my blue corduroy, and trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I didn’t have any cool titles this year, but I was once again the alternate for state in the Job Interview Career Development Event. Something I was really proud of.

I experienced my last FFA banquet, tractor ride, district convention, meeting, contest, state convention, and everything else that you can imagine. And you can bet your life savings on the fact that I cried like a baby at each and every one of my FFA “lasts”. My story in the blue corduroy helped me me make the decision to become an ag teacher, and leave an impact just like Jimmy B had left on me. I wanted to help kids write their story in the blue corduroy.

I thought I was done after that, but in April, chapter five started. I was elected to state office. A freshman year dream come true. I’m currently on jacket number four. A fresh new story book, and you bet your britches it’s going to be a good one. But that chapter is still in the works, and you’re just going to have to see how that one plays out.

Each day you put on your blue corduroy, you’re writing a new page in your FFA story. Your jackets holds more than just your phone, chapstick, conference booklet, and a pen. It holds your memories, the people you’ve met, the lives you’ve touched, and so much more. All FFA members have the opportunity to make their story in the blue corduroy an amazing one. Don’t be afraid to take that chance. The jacket is more than just a piece of fabric, but only if you want it to be. Make the effort to write a good story, because even though you may hate reading, your FFA story is something you’re always going to want to come back and re-read.

I was never that much of a writer, but now that I look back on it, I would say that my writing skills aren’t all that awful. You don’t have to be a writer to write an amazing FFA story. All you need is a little passion, support, and motivation and the story will just kind of make itself. This FFA jacket is YOUR story. Make it a good one.

Zoie Shook
Southwest State Vice-President

No comments:

Post a Comment