Friday, October 7, 2016

Wherever You Are, Be There

“Wherever you are, be there." Such a simple quote, but for me it’s one that holds a lot of meaning. It constantly reminds me to ask myself, am I really there? Sure, throughout high school I went all of our FFA events, rehearsals, and show choir practices. I went to everything, but was I REALLY there?

After being elected to state office in April, it was my mission to live out that simple quote. No matter what the event, it was my goal to be completely present. I didn’t want to regret a single second of my year serving for this organization. I thought I had been doing pretty well. I was involved everywhere I went, and I felt like I was getting the most out of my experience. Sure there were times where I could have done better, but for the most part, I was enjoying every second of my adventure. Until recently I was reminded just how important it is to actually be THERE.

On September 23, my best friends, Carlee, had her dad passed away from cancer. I watched her throughout the whole progression up until his passing. Carlee lives up to the quote I chose to stand by, ultimately showing me I wasn’t really THERE. No matter what the situation or where she was, whenever she was with her dad, she made the most of it. Carlee lived in the moment and she was THERE. She didn’t want to miss any opportunities with her dad. Now, after his passing, she lives with no regrets.

I want to challenge you. Challenge you to live in the moment, take every opportunity, and make the most out of it. Life is short, and there are some moments you’re going to wish you would have been more present. But you can now prevent that. Next time you are at a sports practice, FFA event, or simply just surrounded by family, ask yourself… are you really THERE?

Chase Kusel
State Secretary


No comments:

Post a Comment