Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Keys to a Happy School Year

Summer is officially drawing to close, and as we all rush off to school it seems as if our schedules get fuller and fuller with each day. Whether it’s with FFA, your job, your sports, band, student council, homecoming, homework, or even just hanging out with friends and family, it can be quite stressful to even take a look at our calendars. As someone who was involved in just about everything you can be for my whole life, trust me it’s crazy. It can even get to be a little overwhelming sometimes.
            While our calendars can be a little overwhelming, there are some ways that we can ensure we’re living our best lives. While I’m no expert, I’ve definitely had to try on a few different ways to fight stress in my hectic schedule. So without further ado, here are 5 quick tips I use to be combat stress!

      1.)   Wake Up to your Alarm

This might seem like a no-brainer, but it is an easy way to start your day off on the right foot. Often times, I’ll set roughly 4 alarms in the hopes that I’ll wake up in time to get ready. For those of you that are doing this, it gets pretty stressful and you can feel like you’re constantly late. Another common problem with alarms is the snooze feature, where you may snooze to the point that which you’re running out the door and trying to brush your teeth while putting your pants on and grabbing a granola bar for breakfast.

Late and stressed? That’s certainly not the best start to your day.

Instead, actually get up when your alarm tells you to. I know, it can be pretty hard the first few days, but trust me it helps. You have the right amount of time to make sure that your hair is on point, you have a healthy breakfast, you are on the road right on time, and overall you just feel better and have a great start to your day!

2   2.)   Schedule Free Time

Often times, we continuously are adding in things to our schedule. We just keep adding and adding until we eventually don’t have any time to even eat. Trust me, it’s not fun. I had gotten to a point where I would get done at work at about 11 and then work on homework and other things until about 2am, then wake up at 6 and start all over again. If you ask my mom, it got pretty stressful.
            A quick way that you can make sure you’re keeping your sanity during a busy schedule is to schedule in free time. Maybe set out that every Tuesday night you have Netflix time from 6-8pm and Thursday nights you have an hour blocked out to just hang out with your family, anything that you need works. This way, you know that you have a set time each week that you can relax, but also know when it’s time to say no to something so you’re not overbooking yourself.

3   3.)   Find a Stress Outlet

Everyone deals with stress differently; you just have to find a way that works for you! These can be things like reading a good book, jamming out to your favorite music, going out to the barn and doing chores, hanging out with friends, exercising, even cleaning! Just try some things out and you’ll figure out what works best! One of the ways I best handle stress is just talking it over with someone. I’ll call up my mom or meet a friend for coffee and just decompress. There are plenty of different ways to relieve stress, just make sure it works for you!

4   4.)   Be Healthy

This one is a little easier said than done. As someone who gets sick often (ask any of my teammates or friends and family, it’s pretty often), I often find myself stressed out by the simple fact that I can’t perform at the level I would like. Take for example this past week: I got a sinus infection while I was at a conference and as the school year was kicking off. It definitely has put me behind from where I would have liked to have been in some of my work, and it could have been a lessened burden or even non-existent had I been living a healthier lifestyle. I’m not saying you should stop eating pizza or fast food altogether and pick up a raw carrot, because trust me I could eat a whole Casey’s Breakfast Pizza by myself. What I’m saying is take every now and then to eat in moderation, go for a quick run, or drink water instead of pop once in a while. The less sick you are and the more healthy choices you make, the happier you are.


5    5.)   Be Happy

      Sounds simple, right? You can just choose to be happy. If you are making a conscious effort to be happier, odds are you probably will be. Take some of the less important inconveniences with a grain of salt and focus on big picture happiness. This will bring you one step closer to leading a happier life.



I’m no expert in living a stress-free life. It’s something that doesn’t just magically happen. In the fast paced society that we live in today there will always be a slight sense of panic and an overwhelming feeling. However, we have the choice to make the most of it and lead a happy life anyway.

Zach Hamilton

State President

No comments:

Post a Comment