Sunday, October 15, 2017

Forget the Perfect Bow

          Christmas is coming, y’all. I recently walked through the aisles of Target, seeing about 10 different Christmas trees to choose from, accompanied by dozens of boxes of wrapping paper. I know, I know, it’s not even Halloween yet… but bear with me. I ended up in five more aisles that night with bags for birthday presents, more wrapping paper, and some of the world’s coolest Nerf guns I have seen. Then, I began to notice all the signs in the store that said the word “gift” on it, and I counted over 14 by the time I made it to the checkout counter. I don’t know if it was simply just an accident to see all of those signs and gift-giving supplies that night, but as my cashier handed me my receipt, it clicked. Gifts.
            How powerful is it to know that each one of us, regardless of the point of life we are at, have such a unique, beautiful, and influential gift that we have been given? And no, while the gift of a giant Nerf gun would be absolutely awesome, I’m talking more about the gifts we’ve been given from the One who knows us best. The gifts of empathy, charisma, listening, observation, connection, entrepreneurial spirit, adaptability, coaching, patience, the list could go on! Knowing our purpose through our gifts is one of the most freeing things as humans we will ever come to know, but for many of us, we get tangled up by one word: Perfection.
            Think about wrapping a gift for a second. Generally, presents either come in a bag with cute tissue or wrapped in paper with the perfect creases, bow, etc. Hallmark has absolutely set the standard for gift-giving, and I fall short of that immensely. I have practiced my gift-wrapping a number of times, but every time, I think to myself, “Man, my dog could wrap this gift better than me.” No different than my incapability of nicely wrapping gifts, I think we easily lose the purpose when it comes to giving gifts, or giving away our own gifts. The point of a gift is to help somebody or make them happy, correct? Isn’t that the point of our gifts too?
“But what if I say something wrong?” This is the worry that took over my thoughts this fall throughout prepping for National FFA Convention. Between interviews, speeches, conversation and more, I was paranoid that what I had to say wasn’t going to be good enough, pretty enough, powerful enough. Reality? Some of the best practices I experienced were the practices where I owned imperfection in the form of mispronounced words, awkward sentences, hand movements and all. I knew God had given me a positive attitude and the ability to connect with all types of people, but my ability to share that with others became extremely inaccessible when I believed that perfection was in my own hands. We get caught up in the perfect bow and the deceiving outer wrapping paper, but when we focus solely on that, we miss the point. When we focus solely on how we appear to people, we miss the point. We miss the opportunity for impact, connection, and community. 

Do not waste your gifts. If there is one thing that I hope each one of you as students, members, parents, adults, grandparents and community members can see, I hope that you see yourselves as a vessel for change. A vessel for loving your community and the peers around you. You are one of seven billion contenders in our world to fight the good fight, and the only way the battle is won is by using your own gifts to the best of your ability. Your gifts are invaluable. You are invaluable. The price of perfection has already been paid for you, and it’s your turn to own imperfection. Forget the pretty bow on top, peel back those layers of wrapping paper, and let the world see your gifts. The world NEEDS your gifts!      
Erica Baier
National Officer Candidate

No comments:

Post a Comment