Saturday, March 24, 2018

Lessons Learned

Spring break- a time when every student becomes giddy about summer and decides to spend what little money they have traveling  the world. However, for me it meant spending a few quality days at home on our family farm! Although this might not sound like the greatest spring break trip ever, it was for a few good reasons. They are as follows: friends, dogs, family, dogs, good food, and again seeing my lovable furballs, my dogs.

When you think about it, It’s actually kind of funny,  in high school all you want to do is leave and go to college but when you’re going to school 3 hours away from your  best friends and family all you want to do is spend one more day at home. During my time at home I spent time with my family but I also got to reminisce about the good ole days with my pals Mallory and Lucy. As we sat and chatted for hours about life It got me thinking about our “neighborhood” when I was younger. Growing up in rural Iowa was a treat and as I grow older and experience more of life it becomes easier to acknowledge how great the lessons I learned on the farm were.

So,  here is my rendition of the five best lessons I learned while growing up on our family farm.

  1. Being a female does not limit you.
Growing up with no brothers meant that pulling the “I’m a girl” card was out of the picture. Whether it was scooping poop or stacking bails my sisters and I never limited ourselves based on our gender. We simply did as we were told (most of the time without trouble) and never thought much about it.  As I experience life at college it becomes evident that not everyone understands this. Whether it’s someone who suggests I cannot do as great of a job because I’m a female or another woman who I see limits herself because of her gender, it’s something that is very evident in our society today.

  1. Take the time to do it right the first time.
Washing tractors was not a chore but an art form on the Zumbach farm growing up. And, if you didn’t do it right the first time, you must have time to do it twice.  My dad not only instilled in my sisters and I a hard work ethic but the idea that you should ALWAYS do things right as well. We knew that we were better off to wash our tractors thoroughly because if we missed even the smallest spot we were going to be redoing it later that afternoon, and ain’t nobody got time for that!

  1. Your livestock come first.
Whether it was Saturday night or Monday morning we always fed our livestock before ourselves. Papa Louie always said my stomach may be grumbling but my animals were hungry too and it wasn’t fair to keep them waiting when they can’t feed themselves. My livestock taught me the difference between involvement and commitment.  To be involved was to own them but to be committed was to take care of them to the best of my ability, even if that meant being hungry till after chores were done.

  1. Always have fun!
Between picking up sticks in the yard to pulling volunteer corn in the field,  my sisters and I made everything into a competition. This made the long days and hot summers worth it and some of my favorite memories growing up. Chores became more enjoyable and they quickly became activities of fun rather than a drag.

  1. Build a strong foundation.
There is nothing quite as special as the bond I had with my animals or the love I have for my family and friends. These relationships instilled in me the drive to do what I do and support system I need to keep going. Thanks to all of them I am able to be Independent as I thrive at college because of the strong foundation and support system I have at home. Wherever you go know that connecting with others and asking for help enables you to build a strong foundation.

These lessons I learned growing up may be different than yours. However, they helped make me the person I am today. I encourage all of you to write down a few lessons you’ve learned over the years and reflect on how they have shaped who you are!

Rachel Zumbach
Northeast State Vice President

No comments:

Post a Comment