Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Pride


Like many of you, I grew up in a small town. My graduating class was small enough to fit one of the short busses. We were so small that we knew each other so well, it was almost like a little family. Growing up I was actively involved in sports. Throughout the year I could be seen participating in football, basketball, and track. Though our sports teams never had the success one would hope for, the work and effort we put in for the name on the front of the jersey is something I will never forget. From 6 am workouts to late night bus rides home from games and meets, being a student-athlete is a busy job. The memories made in this are things I will cherish forever and to this day I would kill to go back and suit up one more time to hear the words, “starting at the wing, a senior, number 24, Jake Hlas!!” The pride and joy to run out and represent something bigger than myself is a feeling I wholeheartedly hope everyone gets to experience. In high school I too often heard, “This teacher is bad”, “this school is awful”,” or even “I can’t wait to get out of this place.” At the time I just shook off these comments and lived in the moment. We hear all the time that you will miss these days and that statement couldn’t be more true. Fast forward two years, I now am going into my sophomore year at Iowa State and often think back to my time in the 50675 and reminisce on just how fast it truly did go by. With our busy lives, it is easy to run through life, take time to stop, take a deep breath, and realize just what you have and where you have been. Be proud of where you come from.

Take pride in what you have! On top of going to a small school, my family also has a cattle and row crop operation. Some of my earliest memories came from this. Whether that was checking cattle in the pastures, riding in the combine with my dad during harvest, or bailing hay until 3 am to beat the unexpected rain, farming is a way of life and those involved in it know the struggles as well as the good times. I’ll be honest, I do like the crop side of agriculture, but my true love lies in the cattle industry. Slowly this has turned into showing cattle and improving our herd’s genetics. County fair is where this love for bovines started. My county fair was a small outing, but very much like your normal small-town Iowa county fair. Just like many of you, I can remember walking into the show ring with the animal I had worked all year perfecting, so happy that the hard work was about to pay off. No matter the quality of the animal, I took pride in the work that went into getting to that point. As the years went on and my family started showing all over the nation this same pride was there. Take pride in what you have and your family. Win or lose, these experiences are how we grow.

Finally, take pride in who you are. We all have things that make us the person and individual we are. This can be anything, sports, livestock, the arts, band and chorus, diesel mechanics, agronomy, performing, the outdoors, and the countless other activities and events that we have participated in. These things shape us, but it is important to let them shape you in your own personal way. In high school I struggled with self-confidence, thinking I was never quite good enough because of the lack of accomplishments. It took me years to figure out that this wasn’t the true meaning of why I was involved. This is my challenge to those that do lack that self-confidence, have pride in what you do but find the happy medium to still be humble.

With all of this being said it is still important to be humble. The Bible says that pride is the root of all sin and evil. Have self-confidence and have an appreciation of where you came from, but always remember, “Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful” -John Wooden.

Today, remember the blessings you have received and that you are enough. Take pride in your family, take pride in what you have, take pride in who you are, and be humble. Go out there and make it a great day!

God bless,

Jake Hlas

Northeast State Vice-President

No comments:

Post a Comment