Thursday, September 27, 2018

What is it like to be the parent of an FFA member.


Cole’s Parents: I was totally unprepared for what it meant to be the parent of a state officer. I had no clue how busy he would be, but also how fulfilled he would be. He has learned things I could have never taught him, having experiences I never dreamed he would have! Sometimes on his journeys, I find myself having to remind him to eat right and get enough sleep. I always knew Cole loved helping others, and now I know why he had such a passion for FFA. Something I have heard him say a lot over this year is the word “Service.” This is truly what FFA is about. I recently got the opportunity to watch a small event and this is when I realized just how much he has learned through FFA. This event was very well organized, and the thing is, it was mostly student lead. It is so awesome to see what FFA can offer to young people! At the end of the day, I can really tell how much he loves serving the NW district and the state.

Chandler’s Parents: I was recently asked a question very similar to this at the state fair. I told the gentleman that asked the question that it’s a learning experience and an adventure for all of us. Through FFA we have watched our children’s highest highs and lowest lows but have always tried to instill a sense of accomplishment and integrity. We’ve watched a very shy quiet boy grow into a well-spoken, polite, young man that through hard work and diligence is enjoying his time as a state officer. We have watched our daughter flourish through FFA by helping organize and execute well-planned events. Both of our children have excelled as leaders and we contribute a lot of their success from having the honor to belong to the FFA organization and proudly wear the blue corduroy jacket!

Lexi’s Parents: Our role as an FFA parent has definitely changed over the course of the last 4 years. When Lexi was a freshman she could not join FFA because of her class schedule, so when sophomore year came around she began to go to meetings, participate in judging events, attended conventions, and various other activities. Our job was to make sure she was up on time to catch the bus, make sure her OD was cleaned and ironed, and keep an endless supply of black pantyhose on hand! When she was elected to her chapter and district officer position we were very proud of her determination, commitment, and passion for FFA. I still did not have an understanding of what Lexi saw in this organization until I attended state convention with her last Spring. All along I knew that she loved FFA, enjoyed going to competitions and conventions, making new friends and connections all over the state and nation, but still thought it was just another activity she was involved in. Then at convention I got it. She had been involved in an organization with others who were exactly who she was: determined, hard-working, intelligent, passionate, responsible, caring, and had good values. FFA is where Lexi belongs. We are so thankful to this organization and who and what it has brought to her life and ours. It's truly a blessing.

Lane's Parents: The FFA Organization has been an eye-opening experience for me as a parent. FFA isn’t just for kids or young adults who have grown up on a farm or around livestock. This organization has allowed us to see amazing changes in our son. He has been taught about leadership, responsibility, volunteerism and personal growth. We have watched him grow in his role as a leader and take on the responsibility of a State Officer. Lane has been given the opportunity to see every corner of the state of Iowa where he’s met amazing people. He’s traveled to Kansas to work on recovery efforts from devastating fires and visited Washington DC. The leadership training in DC exposed him to other youth that is passionate about agriculture and real word issues. His officer duties and training changed his college and career direction and have led him to towards a path to be successful in life. FFA has been life-changing for our son and for our family and we are forever grateful for the opportunities he has been able to experience.

Gwen’s Parents: It was a new school year and my daughter was a freshman; I was excited for all the possibilities that were ahead in her high school career. I’ve always encouraged my kids to be involved, be active, and give back to their community so it was no surprise when Gwen began joining different activities. I was surprised, though, when she said she wanted to join FFA. Growing up, I was a 4-Her, and so was Gwen; I didn’t really know much about FFA and what it had to offer, but I soon learned. I remember attending new member night and watching the opening ceremonies; I was impressed by the number of kids involved, the organization of the meeting and the official dress. I couldn’t believe these kids were running an official meeting and doing it well. That night I got a brief overview of what the upcoming year would look like; fruit sales, running a petting zoo, district competition, and a fish fry to name a few. I could see the learning and growth opportunities and I was ready to be a supportive involved parent with this new endeavor but I really had no idea the impact this organization would have on my daughter. I felt the full power of that impact when I watched Gwen, in her official dress, recite the FFA Creed. I could hear her enthusiasm, I could see how much she loved this group of young adults and I could feel her passion. From there on out, I just sat back and enjoyed the ride of being an FFA parent and watched my child find her calling. If you are given the opportunity, you should do the same. Listen when they tell you the history of FFA, the symbolism of the corduroy jacket, what the blue and gold stand for and what a greenhand is. Encourage them to compete at district competition and run for chapter office. Relax when they tell you they get to travel to National Convention. Be supportive when they run for district office and state office. Rejoice when they earn their Iowa Degree. Try to learn all the acronyms they throw at you. Watch in awe as your child changes and be a proud FFA parent. I have been fortunate enough to watch my daughter grow in FFA over the years. She has made life-long friends who are like-minded and goal oriented. She has found passion and purpose, has gained valuable skills and has networked with professionals in the field she wants to pursue. As a parent, I couldn’t ask for more.

Jake's Parents: Having a son in FFA has been an experience, to say the least! Everything from picking them up at the school late at night when the bus returns from a conference as a freshman, to driving to Ames and hearing their name announced to lead the state as a state officer. FFA has had a significant impact not only on Jake's life but also my husband's and my own. We have been able to see the growth and development of lifelong skills that any employer would be ecstatic to have. As a parent, we miss seeing him, and I would love to be traveling with him, but we already embarrass him enough! We try to remember that we raised him to be independent, and so we should not be surprised that he has grown into a strong, self-sufficient adult. I’m so excited to see all of the opportunities he has been given and to see him be a strong leader for such a great organization. Every parent strives to see their children succeed, FFA has given not only Jake, but millions of students all over this country a pathway to be successful. I will always cherish the experiences and skills that he has gained through FFA! PROUD FFA MAMA.

Laken's Parents: Being the parent of an FFA member is both stressful and rewarding. Stressful because she is always on the road but I know she is surrounded by a great group of kids that look out for each other at all times. The rewarding side is seeing all of her accomplishments and how proud of her position she is. There are no words of beyond proud but that's how we feel every day. FFA has not only been a positive role in her life but has taught us a lot of things too.

CD's Parents: Being the parents of an FFA member is truly an honor. We enjoy seeing all that the FFA has to offer our boys and all of its members. From showing livestock to competing in contests, we find ourselves looking forward to the next activity. Watching the members grow from Greenhands to the leaders of tomorrow makes us very proud to be the parents of an FFA member.

Jodie's Parents: There is so much that comes to mind to be a parent of an FFA young adult.  We can’t call them kids because they surpass that level.  They are young adults making a difference in others’ lives.  Some will participate in every event they can while others may not which is ok.  One thing is for sure each one of them has a very unique talent they bring to the table.   These young adults step outside of their comfort zone only to find a new voice and learn how to use that voice for the good.  They come from all walks of life. As parents, you always want to see your child succeed and enjoy what they are doing.  FFA has allowed them to grow and develop skills they have that can be used in everyday life.  It is my opinion that every kid in high school should be required to take an Ag class.  Teach them about where their food comes from and how it’s grown. It gives them the chance to think for themselves.  FFA has also shown kids how to give back along with team building skills.  It teaches them how to give a firm handshake while looking someone in the eye.  They are taught responsibility which is shown threw SAE projects. I have had the pleasure of sitting in the audience at state convention.  Every time I hear about how many hours an FFA student puts in and what they achieved still blows my mind.  These are 14 to 18-year-old young adults that are doing things that most adults haven’t done.  They already have their own herds and growing a business ground up.  Don’t get me wrong I know parents have had a hand in helping them but the determination and eagerness to succeed are what makes them unique.  FFA fuels their drive.  Leadership skills are developed and applied to life’s everyday tasks. To be a parent of an FFA young adult has truly been an honor.  My daughter never seizes to amaze me.  She has grown so much as a person but as a leader for tomorrow.  They put in countless hours without asking for much in return.  They are respectful of others and are driven.  They set the goals high not only to achieve that goal but exceed it.  Whatever their dreams are, I have no doubt in my mind they will reach it.  Tomorrow's leaders are shaped from a great organization and will continue to do so for many years to come. FFA is just an extension of our personal family.  The memories will last forever and so will the friends we meet on the way. 

To the Future of Agriculture,
The Parents of the 2018-2019
Iowa FFA State Officer Team

No comments:

Post a Comment