Thursday, October 11, 2018

Definitions

Every day we put definitions and labels on various things. Whether they may be on words, projects, people, or anything we see during a day’s time. Merriam Webster states that a definition is, “the action or the power of describing, explaining, or making clear.” Though we may think of this when we hear the word definition, I think a much different approach can be taken.

2015, my sophomore year of high school, football season was in full swing, my team, The North Tama Redhawks were in another “rebuilding” season. The last game of the year was on a perfect football weather night, one I will never forget. As we take the field, I march out ready to play just one more game, before focusing on basketball. I line up behind the center, the play starts, I get the ball and run into the teeth of the defense. As I am getting tackled, my leg is pinned under me. In that moment I knew something wasn’t right. I get carried off the field and await the diagnosis. A sprained ACL is what the MRI showed, no physical activity for three months. This was an issue because the basketball season started in only a month. What was I going to do?

At this moment there was a decision to be made. Would I let this setback hinder me? Or would I make the best of the situation? The decision was mine.

Fast forward three years, Freshman year of college at the great Iowa State University, (go clones), it is my first test as a college student, biology 211. I go into this with high hopes, I had studied hard and had an alright understanding of the topics, but as I start taking the test I soon realize I had not studied enough. Let me just say my grade reflected this and was a little rough.

I had another decision to make, my first test at college had been a failure. Would I let this define my college career, or would I make the most of this experience and learn what I need to do to be successful?

Many times in our lives we go through hardships and challenges. I am a firm believer that the decisions that follow these events are what define us as a person. How will you define yourself after going through times like these? Will you allow it to consume you or will you prosper?

Think back to the different approach I referenced at the beginning of this, that approach is how we define ourselves. What actions do we take to be successful? Are we taking any steps to do just that or are we complacent? I challenge all of those who read this to be intentional. After one of the hardest moments in my life, a great mentor said something to me that I will never forget, “Do not let this define you as a person, instead, let it be the direction that will allow you to prosper in the next segment of your life.”

Today remember, we all go through times of despair, times of difficulties, but how we react to these is what defines us. How will you define yourself??
God Bless,
Jake Hlas
Northeast State Vice-President

No comments:

Post a Comment