Thursday, July 14, 2016

Be Something Great

The scoreboard read 3.5, legs were burning, sweat dripping, and heart pounding as the need to stand up to win the wrestling match would then win us the dual. Our school’s rival across the mat going just as crazy as we were and the packed gymnasium with a spotlight indicating all eyes were on this match. The stakes were on the line and all that had to happen was one standup to score that excruciating one point. Going through my mind was how hard the sport actually is. Endless days where you get up before the sun, go to school, work all day, go to practice and sweat through your clothes, open the door to the school at the end of the day and realize you didn’t get the chance to see the sun that day. So God made a wrestler.
            Hi, I’m Cully Forsyth, this year’s North Central State Vice President and I am excited to serve the FFA this year! I grew up on a farm just outside small town Charles City, Iowa and would enjoy the opportunity to get to know you in the future.
            I would love to tell you that I got out. That I scored that point to win our team the dual. To become the hero and have all that hard work pay off. But I didn’t. In fact, this story was about my brother, Wyatt. Even though he got the athletic ability, I felt like I was on the mat with him every time I watched from the stands. The epitome of a wrestler, he had the mindset to do anything he set his mind to and I believe we should all hold this ability.
            Even though I didn’t find my niche in athletics, I found it in other things. Showing pigs, playing the drum set, reading the Harry Potter series, and, my favorite of all, the FFA! I found it in these activities because I was eager and willing to get involved. Whether you are into drama, band, athletics, hopefully academics, or many other groups, it’s so important to find something you love and do it with a passion. The experience you will receive will benefit you so greatly in the future. Don’t pass up the opportunity to become a better person.
             Ever since I was a little boy my mom would always read to my two brothers and I the book, “The Tale of Three Trees” by Angela Elwell Hunt. If you have never read this traditional folktale, the story goes a little something like this. As all three trees grew up on a hill, side by side, they all aspired to be something great. One a treasure chest to hold many valuable treasures. The next a large ship to carry important material in wild seas, and the last to just simply grow as tall as possible to see over the village. As axmen came to chop them down, they were all built into something they did not expect, something they were unaware that was actually very important to everyone in the world. This story relates to my life and possibly yours as well. We all have an idea of what we picture our lives to be after school but most of the time we end up in places that are different from that vision. Better places than we’d ever imagine and as I look to the future I am so excited to take on the year with such an awesome team to wherever this journey takes me. We have the opportunity to work with passionate FFA members and business professionals throughout our busy year.  If you happen to see myself or the team anywhere whether in the blue corduroy or not, we’d love to talk to you.
            Most importantly, get involved with anything you want to pursue. It doesn’t have to be FFA (even though I do suggest it) it can be anything that is interesting to you, talk to people and learn what they love to do and enjoy your time in high school. Lastly, have the mindset of a wrestler, to complete that standup, to do anything you want to, and use your passion, hard work, and ambition to be something great.

Cully Forsyth

North Central State Vice President

No comments:

Post a Comment