Friday, July 22, 2016

Coming Full Circle


        Being part of the ag ed and FFA program at Dysart under Mr. Irv Meier was nothing short of spectacular. As I look back to my days in FFA, I recall that Irv was there with me every step of the blue and gold journey. Driving me and my fellow FFA members across Iowa in his brown Ford van to countless contests, meetings, conventions and places I had never been before.  Helping me to start and grow my sheep and swine SAE. Checking my recordbook. I even remember one time when I almost didn’t get to show my lambs at the Tama County Fair until Irv had officially verified that my sheep recordbook was up to date. It was that kind of guidance and discipline that helped to shape me and make my FFA experience so incredibly rewarding. Irv genuinely cared about me, and it showed in every class he taught, every early morning practice he hosted, every visit to our family farm, every livestock judging work-out, every application I ever filled out, and every award or contest that I was fortunate enough to be part of in FFA. Irv Meier was the kind of leader that I aspired to be. Lead by example. Give more than you take. Be a role model to others. Try something new. Work hard. Be nice to people. Don’t give up, even when you get beat at something you really wanted to do.

I realize now that apparently Irv had some kind of “partnership” with my parents. The three of them must have secretly conspired to make sure that they would collectively do all that they could to support me, encourage me, coach me, push me and help me make the most of my FFA experience. My parents and Irv were partners in my agricultural education, and are the reason I have spent my entire career working in the livestock industry.

Fast forward 30-some years later to 2016. As I watch my own two daughters in their agricultural pursuits, including working with their SAE projects in our barn, I can only hope that their experiences will be equally fulfilling.  Doing chores. Caring for a sick pig. Shearing a lamb.   Packing up the livestock trailer for county fair and the state fair.  Serving as an FFA officer. Being part of a contest team. Taking photos. The list goes on. Nevertheless, my role is different now. As a parent, I work with my husband to offer praise when it is due, and encouragement when it is needed, to each of our daughters.

Recently, I attended an industry food safety seminar at the FFA Enrichment Center in Ankeny. To my surprise, I was seated next to Brian Schoeberl, who I had attended the Washington Leadership Conference with in 1980. It was Irv Meier who drove us, and about 20 other FFA members from the northeast district to Washington DC that year. While it had been many years since I had seen Brian, we talked about how we enjoyed our WLC experience and how much we appreciated our respective ag teachers and FFA experiences.


Ironically, my oldest daughter attended the Washington Leadership Conference last month on the Iowa FFA travel bus. Maybe in a few years she will sit next to someone she met at WLC, and reflect on all that FFA meant to her as she pursues what’s ahead for her.  Most importantly, I hope that my two daughters can enjoy and appreciate their FFA opportunities and experiences as they take part in all that they choose to do in the next few years.




Kristi Krafka
Kristi Krafka is the vice president of regulatory affairs for Kemin Animal Nutrition and Health in Des Moines, Iowa.  Kristi was born and raised on a row crop and livestock farm near Dysart, Iowa, where she developed her passion for animal agriculture. She served as a local, district and state FFA officer, also earning the Iowa FFA Sheep Proficiency Award and her Iowa and American Degrees. She is a graduate of Iowa State University.


No comments:

Post a Comment