Saturday, November 4, 2017

Don't Blink

Have you ever listened to the song “Don’t Blink” by Kenny Chesney? It was always one of those songs that would come on the radio and I would start singing along with it. However, have you ever thought about the lyrics. I never took the time to until I became a senior in high school.
“Life goes faster than you think, don’t blink”, is the ending of the refrain.  Senior year was a blur. I had experienced being a cheerleader for my two favorite sports, basketball and football, with a great squad for the last time; helping with my high school play for the last time; my last golf tournament, prom, banquet with my FFA chapter, and showing my horse at county fair all this year. The hardest one for me to leave was the Two County Dusters Equestrian Drill Team. I have been part of this drill team for four years, which to be honest isn’t very long, but it was something I loved with all my heart. The last performance we have is the Sidney Iowa Rodeo, which is in the beginning of August. The rodeo is always my favorite part of the summer and riding in the Dusters just made it even sweeter. The Two County Dusters is a group of riders from 4th- 12th grades preforming patterns to patriotic music. These patterns didn’t only move the fans watching, but also me. The riders in the Dusters weren’t only some of my greatest friends, but they became a second family. Every year new members would come in and us as the older members would have to teach them how to do the pattern. For me it was never a burden, because it always amazing to watch them develop into great riders just like Dusters had done for me. The last night of the Sidney Rodeo was hardest. That night we had received t-shirts that said all five of the senior’s names and horses, that way we could always support the Dusters. It was also the last night that I got lead the Dusters in the pattern with my best friend, Kaitlyn. During the performance I started to cry. I started to cry because not only was this my last time to ride with the Dusters, but mainly I was so thankful for the experience I had. The Two County Dusters changed me in several ways. It taught me how to become a better rider, a better leader, and overall a better person.

High school offers so many opportunities like this one and sometimes it’s hard to see that. It was hard to see that everything I did helped my grow as a person. Seniors and Juniors, I know you’re ready to graduate, but remember to sit back and take it all in. These are truly once in a lifetime experiences and once they’re gone, they’re gone. Be thankful for the chances you have and the lessons you learn, because they fly by. I would like to thank my Duster family for all of the love and support and I wished that I would have known the lesson that I know now. The lesson of that “life goes faster than you think, so don’t blink”.
Annie Wallin
State Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment