Friday, June 28, 2019

Help


“I have to write a paper for class, feed my livestock, schedule a meeting, finish a scholarship, wash the dishes, and it all has to be done in the next hour.”

A list that goes on and on, it seems that we are always incapable of completing every task. So they pile onto the next day and we go through the same process. A mere look at our to-do list ignites stress and anxiety. How will it be possible to live a life of joy if we are always experiencing this?

Let’s take a look back at an experience in our lives when we felt we had so much to do and no time to do it. For me, this was last year at the county fair. I had 2 cows and 3 heifers that all had to be ready to show by 8 o’clock in the morning. That meant getting up extra early that morning to wash, care, and prepare 5 animals all by myself. It didn’t take long before I was completely stressed out. I was not able to get all the animals washed in time and I wasn’t sure what to do next. The day that I had looked forward to for the last few months had turned for the worst.

As I was frantically trying to complete tasks, one of my FFA peers asked what I needed help with. I stood there shocked for a moment. I had never thought to ask for help. I thought that I had to complete every single task. I sat in a world of my own struggle when there were people all around me waiting to help me. I thanked my friends and they all began to assist me. The stress was lifted off of my shoulders and the rest of the day was filled with joy.

This day taught me an important lesson, ask for help. In life, we get so caught up in completing every task by ourselves. If I would have continued to try prepping all 5 animals by myself, I would have failed. My goals were completed because somebody reached out and helped. As we enter into the second half of summer, how could you be a helping hand for someone? Maybe you could ask your advisor if they need assistance at the county fair, helping out your parents with chores, or lend a hand to a friend. I want to challenge you to ask for help in your own life and ask others what they need help with!
Living to Serve,

Shelby Westhoff 
Northeast State Vice-President 

No comments:

Post a Comment