Thursday, September 26, 2019

Make Time For Fun

Ah yes, yet another school year has begun, and the work is starting to pile up. There are due dates to be met, chapters to read, essays to write, and an endless amount of vocab to study. Before you get too lost in your to-do list, take a moment to enjoy yourself and have some fun.

Throughout high school, I usually found myself sitting at home reading a textbook or writing another lengthy paper for one of my online classes. Instead of spending my weekends with friends or going on adventures, I spent my time in my room doing schoolwork. At first, it didn’t seem like such a bad thing and I actually enjoyed it; however, as the weeks went on, it began to get old and boring. Even though I was burned out from school, I was dedicated to my studies and my grades for all of high school.

As college started up, I dreaded spending another ten months doing nothing but homework. This impending dread caused me to try something new by taking more time for fun. Instead of spending every weekend studying, I decided to dedicate some of them to trying new things and traveling to different places.

One of my favorite memories comes from two hour period I spent with some of my favorite people. After a district meeting, I went down to a broken boat ramp at Lake Red Rock with my teammates. We walked across the broken concrete of the ramp until we hit the very edge of the water. We paused to take pictures, watched the sunset, and laughed until a couple of us cried. As I watched the waves crash into the side of the ramp, the last thing on my mind was the stress of school and the worry of homework. I was simply enjoying myself and the people around me.

At this moment, I realized the importance of making time for fun. Yes, schoolwork and grades are important, but they don’t have to be your constant focus. Don’t be afraid to take a break from your busy schedule to enjoy yourself. Go for a walk, try something new, go on an adventure, hang out with the people who make you laugh, and most importantly, do something you enjoy. Life’s too short to work 24/7: make time for fun!



You Deserve It, 

Mickayla McGill 
South Central State Vice-President

No comments:

Post a Comment