Thursday, January 9, 2020

The Best Time of The Year

We are closing in on the most wonderful time of the year. Yes I know Christmas has passed, I’m talking about calving season! Calving season is the most strenuous yet rewarding time of year for most cattle producers. Getting up at the crack of dawn everyday, going from feeding to driving through cows, and going home late at night can start to wear down on producers. But seeing the calves grow from birth to yearling to sale time is the most rewarding thing in my opinion. Watching my calves run around in the middle of March in the snow covered fields and seeing them transform in feeder cattle the next year and watching their growth makes me feel like I did something important. Reasons like that are why I want to stay on the farm and continue to raise cattle.


But there is the stress that comes with cattle. Everyone knows that no two years are the same. Going from the winter of 2008 to 2019 there has been every type of condition known to man. These types of conditions can wear people down. The amount of sleepless nights followed by large amounts of work during the day can make producers extremely worn down. If you have cattle try to have someone cover your chores every once in awhile and catch up on your sleep. I myself have and will continue to spend the winter with little sleep and can tell you firsthand how hard it is to do this everyday. Take time to rest. The work will always be there, but you might not.


To all cattle producers in Iowa and across the U.S. I wish you a safe and successful calving season, and let’s pray for no snow.


To the Cowboy In All Of Us,

Tyler Comes

2019-20 SW State Vice President

No comments:

Post a Comment