Thursday, April 9, 2020

41 (Mostly) Productive Things to Do When You Can't Leave Home


To say that everything that is going on in the world right now is crazy would be an understatement. We are living in unprecedented times, and no one really saw this coming. With these unprecedented times comes an adjustment to a new normal. My new normal has brought on another thing I never saw coming: free time. I’ve been busy for as long as I can remember. 

As a high school or college student, there is always a practice to go to, homework to do, meetings to attend, the list seems endless. Now that schools are closed and events are cancelled for the foreseeable future, many students are not busy for the first time in what feels like forever. To help with the boredom many of us may be experiencing, I brainstormed a list of 41 mostly productive and fun activities to do while we can’t leave home. 

Working with my Apiary (Bee) SAE

  1. Work with your SAE - One thing I have greatly enjoyed doing during this time is getting back outside and working with my SAE. I have four bees hives that I tend year round and harvest the honey from. Lately has been the perfect time to do things for my project that always seemed to get put on the back burner like painting hive boxes or expanding the wax production part of my business. What can you do to improve your SAE and bring it to the next level while we have some free time on our hands?
  2. Update your SAE record books - Now is a great time to log into the Agricultural Experience Tracker or pull up your Dollars and Hours document and to update those record books! I can remember many long nights spent in my high school ag room going through old receipts and customer records. That could have been avoided had I updated my records more regularly. Trust me, the next time you try to apply for a degree or proficiency award your future self will thank you!
  3. Start state fair projects - It may be April, but I am always thinking about my favorite 11 days of the year: the Iowa State Fair (as of this writing we are just 125 days away after all)! The 2020 premium books have been recently uploaded to the fair website, and now is the perfect time to start working on any static projects like photography or ag mechanics. This link will take you to all the FFA premium books and entry deadlines. Work with your advisor to make sure all of your entries are in order. Don’t forget that open classes are an option too. From sewing to dollhouses to woodworking these classes have a lot to offer! Check them out here.
  4. Read a book - Okay, I know this one seems a lot like school, but trust me here (After being an avid reader my whole life and working at a library in high school, I’m only a little biased)! Although officially closed, many libraries around the state are offering “drive through” options. If that isn’t true to your area, consider investing in some eBooks you can use on your phone, computer or tablet. If you or your family members have a library card, most libraries in Iowa are connected to this site where you can check out eBooks for free. Just hit the sign in button and select your library to get started. Need some ideas on what to read? This site has a great list of books for teenagers separated by genre.
  5. Get a penpal - I’ve been on my phone a lot more than usual lately, so it has been so helpful for me to put down the texts, Snapchats, and social media to send handwritten letters. During this time, I have been writing to some friends and my great grandma who is living in a nursing home that can’t have visitors. Writing a letter to a friend or even to someone you don’t even know is a great way to stay connected during this time. Many nursing homes have ways for you to send handwritten and electronic letters to residents that wouldn't otherwise receive any. Look for local options or click this link to send your letters to an organization that redistributes them to nursing homes all over the country. 


These are a few of my favorites, but check out the list below for some other ideas on how to stay busy when boredom seems to be closing in. Let us know if you try any of these ideas out! Tag Iowa FFA on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook for a chance to be featured on our social media. 

  1. Update your playlists/make some new ones
  2. Play board games with your family
  3. Have a nerf war
  4. Become a better photographer
  5. Learn to crochet or knit
  6. Write in a journal
  7. Exercise
  8. Make a scavenger hunt for your family
  9. Color a coloring page
  10. Organize your room (or anything else)
  11. Create some art
  12. Make a time capsule
  13. Cook or bake something new
  14. Sew something
  15. Plant a garden or indoor plant
  16. Try origami 
  17. Film a “movie” with your family
  18. Do a puzzle
  19. Create a secret code
  20. Learn calligraphy
  21. Invent your own board game
  22. Build something
  23. Decorate your room
  24. Family karaoke 
  25. Construct a fort (out of pillows or outside)
  26. Call or video chat with friends and family you can’t see right now
  27. Learn a new language
  28. Listen to a podcast
  29. Make a photobook (could be a physical one, but there are online options too)
  30. Make homemade ice cream
  31. Clean out your closet (or dresser, or garage, etc.)
  32. Help with household chores 
  33. Start and finish a DIY project
  34. Make a budget
  35. Tie-dye something
  36. Play (or learn to play) an instrument

Stationed by the Flag,
2019-2020 State Reporter
Grace Long

No comments:

Post a Comment