Friday, April 24, 2020

Changes and Challenges

Lately, when we hop on social media, hoping to find a distraction, we are met with the inevitable. Our feed is cluttered with updates from press conferences, cancellations, old memories, and positivity posts. The reality of what is happening around us slaps us in the face again and again.

The day after State Convention was canceled, I was asked to help out with a positivity project. This project was pretty similar to any other one you can find on social media right now. People smile for the camera and try to spread some happiness. Well, I was not too keen on this idea. A positivity project? Are you serious? What is there to be happy about right now? State Convention was just canceled! These were all of the thoughts running through my mind when I received the request. I was feeling sad, angry, frustrated, confused, and completely lost. The last thing I wanted to do was put a smile on my face and help out with a positivity project. With no idea what to do, I sought the advice of my mom. “How am I supposed to do this? I don’t feel happy or positive about anything right now,” I said to her. Then she looked at me and said, “That’s okay. You can be sad right now. You don’t have to feel happy.”

Big or small, we have all lost something we care about in these last couple of months.
We hear people say, “it could be worse,” “you’ll get over it,” or “there’s always next year.” But I am going to tell you something different. It’s okay to be upset right now. It’s okay to feel hurt and sad. It’s 100% okay to not be okay. Your feelings are valid. We’re facing a lot of challenges right now, and you are allowed to feel upset. No one can tell you how you should feel.

With that, let us not forget that everyone is experiencing loss during this time. Our neighbors, friends, families, and enemies are facing challenges that are just as troubling as ours. Allow yourself and others to take the time needed to grieve. But know that there will be an end to these tough times. There will be a day that we can go out to eat again, hang out with our friends, go back to school, see our grandparents, etc. We might not feel okay right now, but we will get there in time.

Living to Serve,

Hope Brecht

2019-2020

Southeast State Vice President


No comments:

Post a Comment