Friday, February 9, 2018

Appreciating the Past and Present


Growing up, I never knew the feeling of living on a farm. I never knew the feeling of waking up at the crack of dawn to milk dairy cows or staying up until the wee hours of the night to help finish harvest before the rain came. One thing I was blessed with, however, was a Mother as a high school agricultural educator and FFA advisor.
I remember riding the school bus to the high school after school as an elementary student to sit in the Ag room and listen to her students practice their career development events (CDE) for hours on end. Chalk me up as a nerdy child, but, I loved sitting through all of the CDE practices. From the process of parliamentary procedure, to the salesmanship in agriculture sales, to the presentation of public speaking, I was constantly intrigued. There was one CDE which always caught my attention more than others: creed speaking.
Although I didn’t grow up on a farm, from a young age, my Mom taught me the importance of the words the FFA Creed states:
“I believe in the future of agriculture, with a faith born not of words but of deeds – achievements won by the present and past generations of agriculturalists; in the promise of better days through better ways, even as the better things we now enjoy have come to us from the struggles of former years”. 
She was constantly reminding me of the importance of all areas of agriculture. From the food that is grown, to the hard work farmers have to put into their crop, to the uncertainty farmers have to face when it comes to Mother Nature, she wanted me to understand every part. If there was one area that my Mom really wanted me to pay attention to, however, it was the people behind the agriculture industry. The people who do wake up at the crack of dawn to milk dairy cows and stay up until the wee hours of the night to finish harvest before the rain comes. Those past agriculturalists who have gone through the struggles and those who have been able to rejoice in the better days.
Fast forward to December 2015 – I was a senior at Iowa State University graduating with a degree in agriculture and life sciences education and communication. An opportunity was presented to me to join the National Corn Growers Association in Washington, D.C. Having done a couple of legislative internships in Washington and being a (very) proud Iowan, working for the corn growers just seemed to make sense. I moved to Washington in January and began my job as a Legislative Assistant.
Day in and day out, I spent my work days in meetings focusing on crop insurance, the Farm Bill, environmental conservation, renewable fuels, and international trade. I communicated daily with farmers from everywhere from the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland, to West Texas, to the heartland of Iowa. The one thing I noticed about all of them? Their love and passion for what they do on their farming operations always remained the same.
One of my favorite moments since moving to Washington was doing a visit with some farmers on Capitol Hill. A farmer had mentioned that he would let the corn staffers speak during the meeting because they were, “just a farmer”. To which, the corn staffer responded “Just a farmer? You’re the most important person in this room. We want you to speak as much as possible.”
It’s the people who make up the “past and present generations of agriculturalists” that make me passionate about what I work on in Washington, D.C. I began a career in federal policy because of the hardworking men and woman who spend their livelihood producing food for a growing population. And I want to help advocate and give them a voice on Capitol Hill.
As you advocate in your local communities or, like me, in the future make a move across the country, never forget who you’re advocating for. Learn from those agriculturalists around you and get inspired by their love for this industry. As the past, present, and future of agriculture, this industry needs all of us to help share their story.


Sarah Doese
Legislative Correspondent, Congressman Adrian Smith (NE - 03)
Past FFA Member

No comments:

Post a Comment