Sunday, February 4, 2018

South Africa: The Adventure of a Lifetime


This past January, six of our state officers made their way to the southernmost part of Africa, the country of South Africa. A country full of history, beauty, and of course agriculture, they were in for quite the experience. The trip is called the International Leadership Seminar for State Officers, otherwise known as ILSSO. There were a total of 75 state officers from around the country who had the opportunity to travel with National FFA to this wonderful place. Below you will find the most memorable parts of each of the officers' time in the country to give you a glimpse of what the trip is like!


Annie: My favorite part was watching South Africa break every stereotype that I had for it. We tend to think that South Africa is a third-world country, when it truly isn’t. They are making great strides with agriculture and though they are not as technologically advanced as we are here in the States, I see that happening in the near future. I believe if they continue to build as a country South Africa will be as strong as ever. Getting to experience this developing country that has both beautiful land and people was an opportunity I will never forget!

Avocado farms, Table Grape production, Corn on the Cob, and Bourkes’ Luck Potholes.

Peyton: The most memorable part of this experience is the new perspective it granted me. During our travels, my eyes were opened a little wider each day as I embraced the diverse agriculture, kind people, beautiful landscape, interesting history, and fascinating culture of South Africa. I gained a greater appreciation for not only some of the blessings we have at home, but also for all of the unique differences which make each place around the world its own. I am so thankful for the new ways in which this trip challenged me to forget any expectations or reservations I had and simply be completely present and open-minded in each experience I encountered. If you ever get the chance to travel to South Africa, go! It will be an incredible journey that you never forget.

Views from the top of Table Rock Mountain & Peyton, Cassie, and Caleb at the ostrich farm.

Caleb: On day six of our journey, we got to visit a village called Kliptown.  Kliptown is one of the most impoverished areas of South Africa.  As we walked through the huts to the Kliptown Youth Project, we walked by three little kids in front of their house.  Once they saw us, they immediately busted out laughing.  Seeing these young lads laugh to the point of crying hit me right in the feels. I realized how important it is to make the most out of the little things.  In life it doesn't matter what surrounds you, it's all about how much fun you have.

Kliptown Youth Program
“From Poverty to Opportunity”

Carli: For me, the opportunity to visit another country and view specific agricultural facilities was the most memorable. Having never traveled out of the United States and having never flown before, the chance to travel and see agriculture in a different setting was amazing. Seeing the similarities in production while comparing agriculture there to what we see in Iowa was very eye opening!

Carl’s First Airplane Ride!

Rachel: After many farm tours and visits of tourist attractions, it is hard to pick one memorable moment. From corresponding with the local people to seeing their innovative ideas in action I can proudly say I gained a vast amount of knowledge while abroad. However, one moment that truly stuck out to me was when I was able to recognize the amount of shared faith I have with the people of South Africa. While visiting a local apple and pear farm I came across an old shed that the farm hands had turned into a worship center. Not only did this open my eyes to the presence of God even in faraway lands but it brought me great joy and happiness to share a bond with the local people through Christ our Lord.

Abalone production, African Penguins on the beach, table grape production, & Robben Island.

Cassie: For me, the most memorable part of traveling to the country of South Africa was visiting the African Leadership Academy. This was an institute where 200 students from across the continent of Africa aged anywhere from 17-22 gathered to learn about how to become better leaders for their nations. Each and every student that we met had such a passion to learn, and all for the purpose of making their homes a better place. Not only were these students motivated, but they put their dreams into action and actually made a difference in their communities. A passion to learn and a willingness to do are what truly made these student remarkable.

African Leadership Academy Courtyard, Cafeteria, and Classrooms.




Thank you all for your support while we were away!


Peyton, Cassie, Rachel, Carli, Annie, and Caleb
ILSSO Travelers
Iowa FFA Officers


No comments:

Post a Comment