Wednesday, August 15, 2018

What is your favorite thing about the Iowa State Fair?


Lane Morrison -

My favorite part about the Iowa State Fair definitely has to be hanging out with my friends at different concerts and livestock shows. Every year, we make it a priority to come to the great Iowa State Fair and go to the free stages to enjoy all of the new upcoming performers. This year was a little different from my normal routine. Each state officer is given the opportunity to attend a concert in the grandstands sometime throughout the week as an FFA usher so seeing what goes on behind the scenes has been really cool. Another fair favorite has to be the amazing food throughout the fairgrounds. I don’t shy away from a pork chop on a stick or a warm bucket of cookies. Overall, the State Fair is one of my favorite times of the year!

Jodie Mausser -

My favorite part of the Iowa State Fair is getting to see all the hard work that everyone does to putting the state fair on, and also getting to see all of the super cool projects that our members work so hard at during the year, to bring them to the great Iowa State Fair! Everyone has a story, and if you give them the time to tell you, you can learn a lot from the state fair, and the people. Another one of my favorite parts of the state fair is getting to help out at the Animal Learning Center. While helping out, I get the opportunity to talk with fairgoers about agriculture, and I get to share my passion with them while talking to them about the dairy industry. This is my favorite part of the Iowa State Fair!

Laken Mullinix -

Believe it or not, this was my first time at the Iowa State Fair and out of everything I’ve experienced, my favorite part is working at FFA Display in the Agriculture Building! I have loved the opportunity to meet with people of all ages and see how they relate to the jacket and what it means to them I have had so many conversations with people who were members long before me, and seeing the impact that the blue corduroy still has on them today amazes me! It really shows that the memories you take with you from this blessed organization will stay with you from years to come.

Jake Hlas -

The great Iowa State Fair has always been the highlight of my year. My family has camped there since before I was born. Many of my earliest memories came from the 11 days of summer spent at the Iowa State Fair. I have shown and exhibited livestock here for nearly 10 years and through this, I have met and connected with countless people in this great industry. In regards to the question of what is my favorite part of the Iowa State Fair, it is hard to choose just one. This state has been one to remember and not just because of the 15 days we spent on the grounds this year or the hot summer nights spent in the air-condition-less five-star resort of Hillcrest, it is because of the broad spectrum of people we have been able to meet with. Not only in the livestock barns but also all over the fairgrounds. My favorite memory from this fair occurred during the parade of champions. I was able to see all of the hard work pay off for numerous individuals and this was a very good feeling to have, being able to relate to the countless hours spent on their livestock and projects. The excitement within the eyes of everyone in the ring of the livestock pavilion as 2000 spectators cheered, is something I will never forget. Moments like these are what truly coins the term, “Nothing Compares to the Iowa State Fair.”

Chandler Jahner -

Nothing compares to the Great Iowa State Fair! This year did not disappoint! Whether it be meeting members from across the state, working the Avenue of Breeds, or hanging out with the Ushers, it was a ball! My favorite part of this year's fair was to witness and hear everyone’s Ag stories. Take for example Parker, who won Grand Champion Restored Tractor this year, who spent hours telling his story of success. Or Skie, with her heavy hitch draft horse team, hauled not only us as state officers but the governor and lieutenant governor in the parade of champions! You can see it on their faces, witness their hard work in action as you travel in the barns, these members stories are just beginning. At the same time, it was an honor to hear the adventures of those who plowed the way before us. Whether it be during the farm crisis of the 80s, or the boom of the 50s, it’s amazing to see how far we’ve come. It was a blessing to be a part of and hear the story of those who still believe in the future of agriculture.

Alexis Berte -

The Iowa State Fair is an event I wait for all year long. This year, however, my state fair looked a little bit different than normal. I represented Kossuth County as fair queen during Queen’s Week. Although I missed out on many of the FFA livestock shows, this second week has been one to remember. Working numerous display shifts, I have met some amazing people with even better stories to tell. Learning about their backgrounds in FFA has truly been amazing. I can by far say, these years state fair is one for the books. It’s hard to pick just one aspect of the fair to be my favorite one, but I would have to say it is watching the Swine Show. Fun fact: My favorite animal is a pig! All year long, exhibitors work with their livestock to prepare them for their county fairs and the great Iowa State Fair. Seeing their joy and excitement in the ring is something I will never forget. All of their hard work has paid off in those few moments. With the theme this year being Iowa State Fair Moments, I can recall many moments from over the years at the Iowa State Fair. All of those moments have a special place in my heart. I cannot wait to continue making memories at the Iowa State Fair not only this year but for many years to come, because nothing compares to these moments.

Gwen Black -

The Great Iowa State Fair is one of my favorite times of the year! I have been attending the fair with my family for as long as I can remember, whether that be to exhibit projects, show horses, or just go to a concert in the Grandstands, we have been here, rain or shine. Because it is so hard to choose just one of my favorite state fair moments I’ll tell you my favorite from both sides of the coin. Now as an FFA member and Officer I have loved seeing all of you! Your hard work throughout the year has obviously paid off. Seeing everyone work the ring in the parade of champions was so amazing! Being a regular fairgoer my favorite part of the fair is, of course, the food! I can’t even choose a favorite food either because everything is amazing. Though I can say the best lemonade at the fair is the booth up in Pioneer Hall! Would highly recommend! The fair this year has truly been an amazing experience and I hope all of you enjoyed your fair as well and made some memorable moments along the way.

CD Brinegar -

My favorite part of the Iowa State Fair is the FFA Ag Mechanics. I enjoy walking through and looking at all the tractors. Although green is the best and "Nothing Runs Like a Deere", the red ones aren't too bad. The tractors are all shined up with chrome straight pipes and new lights tend to always look the best sitting outside in the sun. But what really makes those tractors so meaningful are the stories that went into each one. Like the tractor that grandpa bought brand new and dad blew the motor on it, it made it to the state fair. Or my personal favorite - a tractor that was used as a tram puller back in the day - was bought from the fairgrounds and now is back after a 50-year absence. If you get a chance, I strongly recommend a trip through the FFA tractors.

Cole Reiman -

The people - I know it sounds cheesy but sometimes I feel like a dog at a dog park - always going up and meeting new people! One of my teammates brought something to my attention this week when you are at the state fair and you walk by hundreds of people but you never know their stories. On these fairgrounds, there have been advisors, governors, members, queens, and even the everyday visitors. Each of these people has their own story, their own lives that lead up to this moment, right now where we have all been brought together at an amazing state fair. The conversations we have to allow us into the doorway of another person’s life, they allow us to feel what others feel and connect with others, they let ourselves gain an understanding of a whole new perspective on life and in the process gain an appreciation for where others have been and where they are going. Next time you are unsure whether or not to start a conversation, do it. I can promise you will learn something by the end of it and grow in the process.


2018-2019 
Iowa FFA State Officer Team

No comments:

Post a Comment