Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Where Family is Found

Growing up, I attended a Catholic school. I got the usual questions like, “Do you have to wear a uniform?”, each time I would mention this. However, my school was much more than just wearing a uniform. It taught me morals, values, and the importance of family. Family is not always the people you live with or you are related to. With each class size averaging about 35 students, it was easy to know everyone in the school. I found a family within the student body and staff members. Everywhere we would go together, you could easily pick us out because of our uniforms. People would often stare, but I soon came to realize that this was something to be proud of. Like most high schoolers, I was excited to see what my future would hold. When I graduated, I realized that there was something special about Bishop Garrigan that I would cherish forever. It was always more than just a school. Bishop Garrigan was a place where I found a family. It was a family that supported, accepted, and motivated me to be the best possible version of myself.

Now Bishop Garrigan was not the only place where I found a family in high school. Similarly, the Algona FFA chapter became a family also. In FFA, people often reference the “Sea of Blue”. Now, as a Greenhand FFA member, I never really understood this term. Well until my first National Convention. In October 2015, I loaded the bus to head down to Louisville, KY, with some of my best friends. After being on the bus for what seemed like forever, it was finally time to get off. I was tired of being on the bus for so long, but I quickly forgot about everything within a few seconds. I stepped out and walked up to the convention center and all I saw was Blue Corduroy. Now, this is a sight I will never forget. This sight instantly changed my life forever. I realized that not only was my chapter a family, but the National FFA Organization as a whole was a family. Throughout my time at numerous state and national FFA conventions, I met members from across the nation that became my family. Just like Bishop Garrigan, we shared core values that connected us no matter how far apart we may be at times.

Whenever I am missing those families, I remember this quote, “Families are like branches on a tree. We grow in different directions yet our roots remain as one.” (Unknown) No matter where life may take you, remember that your family will always be there for you. You are always connected by your common values.

In the Bible, it says, “Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5) Value the families you form throughout your life. They are the people who accept you as you are. Never forget the where family is found.


Keep it Real,
Alexis Berte
North Central State Vice President

No comments:

Post a Comment