Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Nothing Compares to the Yellow Shirt at the Iowa State Fair


“Dani, I know you want to show at the state fair, but we just can’t make it happen this year,” my mom told me in April of 2016. Why in the world would she do this? I love the state fair! I begged her to let me show my Gelbvieh cattle, but she wouldn’t budge. So, I had to come up with another plan to somehow spend time at the infamous Iowa State Fair.

An alumnus from our chapter (Little Switzerland at Waukon) and I had a conversation about her favorite FFA memories and ushering at the state fair was brought up. I immediately dove into doing research on how I could potentially become an usher and found the application. I applied and before I knew it, it was time to head south to Des Moines.

When I got to the state fairgrounds, I met with other students who were also ushers and toured the facilities. They explained how the next two weeks were going to roll out, and then we called it a day.

I never knew hard work could be so much fun. During the fair, the ushers are asked to assist with many activities. Highlights of these include gate duty, the sheep shearing contest, the dairy show, selling tractors in the FFA building, and of course, assisting people to find their seats in the grandstands. Although this can sound intimidating, the two weeks are full of fun. Toga parties, the FFA usher dance, swimming in display pools and eating lots of Leimon’s Pizza are some of the many benefits we have as serving as an usher (trust me – there are many, MANY more).

One of my most favorite activities I have signed up to help with has been the Parade of Champions. On the first Saturday of the state fair, FFA members from across our great state show off their projects by walking through the Parade of Champions. From cattle to photography, to horticulture and remodeled tractors, the hard work that FFA members have put into their projects that did exceptionally well is displayed to massive crowds. FFA ushers become involved by bringing in flags, singing the National Anthem, and assisting members as they bring their projects in.

Our name is The FFA ushers. After mentioning all these activities that we participate in, you’re probably wondering to yourself, “Dani, why in the world are you called the FFA Ushers if you aren’t really ushering?” Well – let me tell you – we do a lot of ushering. Those big names that come to the state fair – Day + Shay, Luke Bryan, The Chainsmokers, Slipknot, Pentatonix, the Zac Brown Band, Gabriel “Fluffy” Iglesias, for King & Country, Foreigner, and Hootie & the Blowfish – are a crucial part of our job. Each night, thousands of people come to see the names listed above to perform. It’s our duty to make sure that they find their seats. And the best part? WE GET TO WATCH THE CONCERTS!


A few of the key pieces and perks of important info I want to make sure to mention are that you live on the fairgrounds for 12 days during the fair. All meals are provided, and you have free entry to the fair.

Ladies and gentlemen, when I convinced my mom to let me sign up for this opportunity, I didn’t realize how much it would change my life. You live, eat, and work with your fellow ushers. They become your family. The 12 days of the Iowa State Fair are long, contain a lot of work, but are full of laughter and you make memories that will last a lifetime. The first year and every year after that, I have walked out of the fairgrounds crying because I love working each year. Once you are “bitten by the FFA bug” to work as an usher, it makes you want to continue to participate year after year. Take the initiative and chat with your advisor today about how you can serve as an usher. You won’t regret it.


Nothing Compares to the Yellow Shirt at the Iowa State Fair,
Dani Stock
Little Switzerland FFA Chapter at Waukon

No comments:

Post a Comment