Friday, March 15, 2019

Make the Most!

Five months ago, I was sitting in a hotel ballroom as Mr. E.L. Caraway shared this advice. A seemingly simple slogan, putting these words into action have the ability to transform any situation.

When Mr. Caraway initially spoke these words, I was preparing to compete at the National FFA Public Speaking LDE. Sitting in that room was a reminder I only had a handful of times left to wear the blue jacket. Memories of ag class, participating in my first CDE and traveling to Washington D.C. with members from across the nation flooded my brain. “Making the most” had meant seizing these opportunities. Doing so allowed me to discover my interest in agriculture, overcome my fear of public speaking and make lasting friendships. While these big moments were important, I believe Mr. Caraway wanted us to understand making the most of the little moments as well.

I began to wonder… how would I carry on this mindset when I took off the blue jacket?

I am now halfway through my second semester of college. This means midterms. An econ exam, an animal science practical, and a variety of other deadlines are looming over my head. Between studying, club meetings and working, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed. It can be even easier to forget about making the most. However, these seemingly mundane moments are when I find it even more important.

Making the most means truly being engaged in class. It’s so easy to pull out your phone or work on another assignment. By making the most of your learning, you’ll understand the content better and perhaps dread going to class less.

It means actively listening during a conversation. Whether it’s with your best friend or a new acquaintance, the people around us have unique insight. Hearing their perspective might cause you to look at the world through a different lens.

It means following your passion. It is so easy to say yes to everything. This can leave us drained and irritable. When we understand the value of our time and make decisions with our heart, our schedules will fill us up instead of breaking us down. Choose to try a new club (or don’t) and make time for your hobbies.

There are many ways to make the most. If I hadn’t gotten involved in FFA, I would not be the person I am today. From helping me find confidence in my speaking ability to meeting my college roommate, this organization has had a lasting impact. If I wasn’t striving to implement a make the most mindset into my everyday life, I would be less grateful for all that’s right in front of me. I encourage you to make the most of every moment — in and out of the blue jacket.

Go Make the Most of It,
Emily Saeugling

No comments:

Post a Comment